Planning Process Underway
With the successful passage of the February 25, 2014 referendum, work is already underway to begin planning for the Wayzata High School addition and the eighth elementary school.
- The Facilities Committee of the Board and district administration have met to further develop the design/construction process and reconfirm timelines for the high school addition, eighth elementary school, and safety, security and technology infrastructure improvements.
- Safety and security improvements will begin during the summer of 2014.
- Design of the high school addition and improvements will proceed during spring and summer 2014; construction will likely start late fall 2014 and continue for nearly two years.
- Elementary school design will start after a site is purchased; construction is expected to begin by the summer of 2015. The new elementary will be located somewhere north of Highway 55 and west of the future expansion of Peony Lane to Lawndale Lane. The hope is to have a purchase agreement in place for the site of the district's new elementary within the next 90 days. With the addition of an eighth elementary school, a process to reconfigure school attendance areas to balance enrollment at all elementary schools will be determined and shared with the community by this fall.
- The high school addition and new elementary school are scheduled to be open in fall 2016.
There are a number of ways for parents and community members to get involved and share feedback and ideas to be considered as the construction process moves forward. The following are opportunities to get involved:
- Apply to Serve on a Core Planning Group — Two Core Planning Groups, one for the high school addition and the other for the new elementary school, are currently being formed. These groups will be made up of 12-15 individuals including representatives from: Wold Architects and Engineers, Kraus Anderson, School Board, administration, principals, staff, parents and community organizations. The High School Addition and New Elementary Core Planning Groups will provide big picture guidance and conceptual organization to each of the project designs and require a significant time commitment. Two parents/residents, who reside in the Wayzata School District, will be selected to serve on each of the planning groups. Applications must be received no later than Friday, April 11, 2014.
The High School Core Planning Group will begin meeting Tuesday, April 29 and will meet two-three times per month through October, 2014. Meetings will be held from 4-6 p.m. on Tuesdays.
The Elementary Core Planning Group will begin meeting June 18, 2014 and will meet two-three times per month through October, 2014. Meetings will be held from 4-6 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- Participate in User Group Discussions — A number of user groups will be brought together for one or two-time discussions to share input on specific aspects of the high school and elementary projects. This input will be shared with the appropriate Core Planning Group to guide and inform their work. Click here if you are interested in participating in a one-time user group discussion. High school user group meetings are tentatively scheduled for September 9, 10 and 11, 2014. Elementary user group meetings are tentatively scheduled for October 7, 8 and 9, 2014. Specific dates will be shared with those who sign up as they are finalized.
- Share Your Ideas and Feedback Online — All parents and community members will also be given an opportunity to share ideas and feedback through the District website. Once the Core Planning Groups begin meeting, additional information will be shared about how to submit your feedback online this spring and summer.
If you have questions, or would like more information about the construction process, please call the Construction Hotline at 763-745-5050, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org